Sunday, September 18, 2011

Word Night, September 18 - September 22


1. Do I love money and abundance (5:10)? How does this manifest itself in my life? How have I grown dissatisfied with my income and possessions? Read Matthew 6:24; 16:261 Timothy 6:10; and Hebrews 13:5. At what point in my life have I been the most content? In what ways am I currently learning contentment? Read Philippians 4:11-12.

2. Now that I am financially well off, have my friends increased (5:11; cf. Proverbs 14:20)? Why or why not? Would these people still remain my friends if I lost all of my wealth tomorrow? Would they be around if I had serious needs? Is being wealthy all that I thought it was cracked up to be? Am I happier than I have ever been or was I better off when I didn’t have as much (5:12)? When was I more satisfied (cf. 5:10)?

3. How have I been guilty of hoarding my wealth (5:13)? How have I seen my riches fail me (5:14)? What will I leave behind when I die (5:15-16)? How can I become a generous and cheerful giver? Read 2 Corinthians 9:6.

4. What makes your heart glad? Is it money, possessions, pleasure, or success? The message of the Bible is that we have been saved to have a relationship with God (John 10:10; 17:3). Our purpose in being is to come to know Him. Augustine (354-430) once said, “Our hearts are restless, until they rest in You.” How have I found this to be true in my own life?

5. How is my work and my wealth a part of fulfilling God’s eternal plan for my life and His kingdom (5:18-20)? Read 1 Corinthians 3:8, 14 and 15:58. How am I thankful for my job and my money? What steals away my contentment and joy?

0 comments:

Post a Comment