Saturday, September 24, 2011

Talking points for September 25


  1. What is your gut reaction to difficult situations?  Is is to smile and keep going, wallow in your own self pity, pretend like it's not that big of a deal and try to ignore it, or do you try to confront it, process it, learn from it, and move on?  What are the dangers of pushing your problems inward and ignoring them? 
  2. When was the last time I was rebuked by someone I know (Ecclesiastes 7:5-6)? How did I respond? When in my life have the “wounds of a friend” proved to be faithful and beneficial? Read Proverbs 27:6; cf. Psalm 141:5 and Proverbs 20:30. Which is harder for me: to rebuke a friend or to be rebuked by a friend? Do I view confrontation as a positive thing or a negative thing? 
  3. What types of situations make me impatient or angry (7:8-9)?  How have I reacted foolishly in my anger? How can I learn to control my ungodly anger? Read James 1:19
  4. How has God used suffering in my life to improve my character? What is the worst trial I have ever encountered? How did God mature me through this ordeal? Read Romans 8:28-29. How has God used me to comfort or encourage someone else as a result of my suffering? Read 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.  This will be a great question to go through with your group.  It'll tell a lot about each person, what they are going through, and their process of handling diversity.  Listen to them carefully so you can know how to minister to, love on, and help them move forward in their life. 
  5. Put yourself in Solomon's situation.  If God asked you what was the one thing you desired, what would you tell him?  Honestly, would wisdom even be on the radar?  Rate these things in the order that you think you would have requested them. 
money
fame
good job
lots of friends
power
good reputation
wisdom 
Solomon states that without first obtaining godly wisdom, all of these other things are just a waste that you will blow through foolishly and will leave you empty and searching.  So what are you spending your time, energy, and efforts chasing?  In the end, what will those things give you?

This week, pray this prayer and listen to God's response. "God, what are you trying to teach me right now?" Whether it's a good day or a bad day, don't waste the chance to learn from it.  God may have you in the middle of something right now that is simply preparing you for what He has next.  Don't get so focused on the destination that you miss what God is trying to teach you through the journey.

0 comments:

Post a Comment