Sunday, October 23, 2011

Word Night, October 23-29


    1. Do I genuinely enjoy life (11:7-8)? What evidence can I provide to substantiate this? What would my spouse and children say? What about my coworkers, neighbors, and fellow church members? Would those who know me best say that I am content and joyful? Or would they say that I am constantly stressed and consumed with work, ministry, and various challenges?

    2. Did I make the most of my childhood and young adult years (11:9-10)? What memories can I share that demonstrate this? How and when did I fail to truly enjoy my youth? Did I try to grow up too fast? If so, what mistakes did I make along the way? What regrets do I have? How can I share the errors of my ways with my own children and grandchildren to prevent them from making my same mistakes? It may be best to ask the question: If I could live my childhood and youth all over again, what would I do differently?

    3. What does it mean to “remember” the Lord (12:1)? In what ways did I strive to do this in my youth? How am I seeking to remember the Lord today? What role does a future judgment (11:9) play in remembering the Lord? How should this motivate me today?

    4. How have I experienced my age catching up with me (12:2-7)? What bodily weaknesses have discouraged me the most? Have I shared my disappointments with others and experienced their comfort and empathy? How does the realization that I am deteriorating draw me closer to my Creator?

    5. Why is life described as “vanity” (12:8; cf. 1:2)? How have I recently experienced the fleeting and frustrating nature of life? What has been my response? How has the book of Ecclesiastes changed my perspective? What can I do to not merely survive but thrive in the midst of life?

0 comments:

Post a Comment