Saturday, October 29, 2011

Word Night, October 30-November 5


    1. How is the description of Solomon (12:9-10) similar to the description of a scribe’s work in Ezra 7:10? In what way(s) should my life be similar to those of Solomon and Ezra? Even though I am not in vocational ministry, how is the Lord calling me to step up my own spiritual disciplines and public ministry?

    2. What is my favorite book besides the Bible? How has this book impacted my spiritual growth? How many books have I read in the past twelve months? In what ways have these books benefitted me? How can I balance my reading of the Bible and my reading of books?

    3. What does it mean to “fear God” (12:13)? How would I define this in my own words? Is there an illustration or analogy that I could use? In what ways do I exhibit a fear of God? Where do I need to still grow in this area? Who do I know that really seems to fear God? What can I learn from him or her?

    4. Does it seem difficult to “keep God’s commands” (12:13)? Why or why not? How should we understand 1 John 5:3, which says that God’s commandments “are not burdensome?” What about Jesus’ own words, “My yoke is easy and My burden is light” (Matt 11:30)? How can I make sense of these verses when they do not seem to be true of my experience? In what area of my life do I find it the most difficult to obey God?

    5. Am I prepared for my future judgment (12:14)? If Jesus were to come today and I was called to give an account of my life, would I be ready? Does a day of future reckoning motivate me or paralyze me? How can I possess a proper motivation? Read 1 Peter 4:8 and 1 John 4:17-18. What will it take for me to hear Jesus say, “Well done, good and faithful slave” (Matt 25:21, 23)?

0 comments:

Post a Comment